SoBo and Suburbs are about to unite, and how! The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) has recently announced a new coastal road to connect the suburbs and town!
Traveling from Andheri to Marine Drive is now less than 30 minutes and a scenic drive away! The coastal road, named Western Freeway, is estimated to be a Rs. 15,000 crore project.
Take a look at this exclusive video of the new Western Freeway project:
(Video Source/Owner: MCGM)
Here are 18 interesting facts about the coastal road Mumbai:
- The project is expected to be ready by 2021.
- The work for the coastal road project will begin in October 2017 with the reclamation of Priyadarshini Park on Napean Sea Road. Only 3 months from now.
- The road will span a length of 29.2kms, connecting Nariman Point to the northern suburbs.
- A sum of Rs. 1,000 crores has been allocated to this project in this year’s BMC budget.
- The Bandra-Worli Sea Link (officially Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link) will also be a part of this new freeway.
- The coastal road will have an underground tunnel in Malabar Hill.
- The coastal line will pass by the Haji Ali interchange.
- Underpasses, footover bridges, and dedicated areas for bus stops – get ready to experience ease of access like never before!
- The freeway will make it convenient to communicate from Nariman Point, Marine Drive, and other areas to Andheri West.
- The project is divided into two sections – South Section and North Section.
- The development will begin with the South Section, which is of 9.98 kms.
- The North Section covers a stretch of 19.3 kms.
- The South Section starts near Princess Street Flyover.
- It consists of a pedestrian underpass for those wanting to access Haji Ali Dargah.
- This will also provide connectivity to Mumbai Central Terminus, Kambala Hill, Tardeo, Mahalaxmi Race Course, and Pedder Road.
- The South Section has multi level parking and a spacious bus terminal.
- The stunning blueprint of the South Section currently shows the following connecting routes –
- Tardeo to Marine Drive & Marine Drive to Tardeo
- Tardeo to Sea Link
- Worli to Marine Drive & Marine Drive to Worli
- Worli to Sea Link & Sea Link to Worli
18. The coastal road will include an interchange that connects Prabhadevi, Dadar, and Worli.
The Western Freeway will solve major traveling problems for majority of the people. With direct connecting routes, the average time spent traveling to and from town will also reduce.
The coastal road project also comes with provisions for public transport, making it beneficial to everyone! An auto and taxi stand, bus terminal, bus stops along the route, underpasses and footover bridges make it easily accessible. This will make commuting easy for a lot of everyday travelers like office-goers, etc.
Are you excited about this breathtaking project? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below!